My original intention was to release this quick, short pack near the beginning of May as catch up. Well, it’s not the beginning of May, and the pack is still relatively quick and short, so now I really feel like I’m short-changing you guys. I suppose as important as puzzle construction is as a hobby to me, I can’t go turning down really big opportunities in life for its sake alone.
This pack contains
- The rules, a walkthrough for an example, and a few strategies for Hidato
- 10 puzzles using the standard rules, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- 4 Cipher Hidato puzzles, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- 4 Straight Hidato puzzles, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- 4 Diagramless Hidato puzzles, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- 4 Wide Hidato puzzles, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- 4 Sum Hidato puzzles, half 5 by 5 and half 8 by 8
- Hints and solutions for all puzzles
Version 2 uploaded on 5/27/2012 6:50 PM EDT: Fixed some typos and rewrote III.8 (which got reordered to become III.7) to fix an extremely severe error.
Version 3 uploaded on 5/28/2012 7:20 AM EDT: Fixes errors in III.13 and III.15 along with a few other typos. I rechecked every puzzle just before uploading this, so I hope these are the last of the major mistakes.
“Hidato?” you might say. “HIDATO?!” Yes, Hidato. Suffice it to say, these might be the first and last Hidato puzzles I ever make; I’m not sure how much more I could do with the type after these. But what good ideas I had I made the most of, so hopefully you will be able to find enjoyment in those. Like with the Slitherlink pack, the variations will probably be more interesting than the classic ones.
As usual, reporting of errors you find either in a comment here or by email would be much appreciated.
I’ll do my best to have the next pack out in less than two months. It actually already has some significant progress behind it… more on that later. I won’t make a guarantee though; you know how those usually end up.